Monday, January 7, 2013

Chinese Place in the Old Market

UPDATE: IT'S GONE! CLOSED!

1215 Howard Street
402.991.9330
Mon - Thurs 11-9:30, Fri and Sat 11-10, closed Sun
houseofleeomaha.com

Ye Old Howard Street

Is this place called "House of Lee," or "California Bowl," or both? The website says the Old Market location is closed, so maybe my experience a few weeks ago was all a dream. A dream in which I patronize a dingy Chinese food diner and emerge feeling... satisfied.

I've passed this place a bunch of times and was sure it would absolutely, positively suck. There's nothing more I can really say. Thought it was gonna suck, and it was actually pretty good. Next.


Moo Goo Gai Pan ($6.25)

Lunch Special ($6.75):
Mongolian Beef and Chicken with Broccoli


Egg Drop Soup (included with lunch)


If you haven't seen this TED talk on the origin of Americanized Chinese cuisine, there are worse ways you could spend 15 minutes:

1 comment:

  1. I was pretty upset when House of Lee closed at this location. It's some of the best cheap chinese food I've had in Omaha. They have another restaurant at 5446 N 90th St, but I've never been there, so not sure it's the exact same. I'm going to try it soon though, because they make the best General Tso's Chicken that I've had in Omaha.

    ReplyDelete