Thursday, January 3, 2013

Happy New Year (Don't Look Back)

Strip malls rule:
Caribbean Delight on N. 72nd Street

Everything I ate in 2012 has been long digested (hopefully), so I find it a bit trivial to divvy out my own little "Best of" awards. Rather, I'd like to look forward, to share with you my ever-evolving plans for good -- and not so good -- eats.

Here's where you're likely to find me this year:

For tacos: Tie between La Casita and Tacos el Peligro. Both mainstays on my roster since I moved here, these are also good if you made a New Year's resolution to order more food in Spanish.

For an alternative to Panera Bread and the like: Le Quartier. Though I've only been to the new Dundee location, this Lincoln-based mini-chain serves up an exquisite soup and sandwich combo, in a pleasant-yet-simple setting both me and my laptop can enjoy.

The spread at Jim & Jennie's

For great winter comfort food, before we're all sweating our balls off again: Jim & Jennie's Greek Village at 90th and Maple really impressed me with their interesting Greek wine, superior souvlaki and spanakopita, and Ionic column decor, all in some strip mall. Hit it up between a trip to Dollar Tree and donating some plasma.

Nachos from Barrett's Barleycorn -- don't they look tasty?

Restaurant I will eat at and then marvel at how I made the same mistake yet again, just 'cause it's close and easy: Tie between Varsity Sports Cafe in Dundee and Barrett's. Those of you who stalk me might be able to pinpoint a little closer where I live now.

Restaurant I won't be frequenting, even though it has a great cocktail and food menu: J. Coco. Sometime since its early-2012 opening, this place was overtaken by middle-aged and elderly women. I'm not quite there yet.

Place I will always want to go but will usually forget about and go to Taco Bell instead: Localmotive Food Truck. Because unfortunately, it's too hard to find someone to drive to the Old Market when you're wasted.

For an alternative to any one of Omaha's many dirty dive bars: Pageturner's Lounge. I guess rock stars have seen the inside of enough bars to know how to open a cool one.

Place I wish would re-open in 2013: Bomb Digs Food Truck. After a short stint capturing our hearts, these guys went on hiatus. When and if they'll return is anyone's guess.

Place I will try once more to see if it's gotten any better, because I really like what they're trying to do: Lighthouse Pizza. My first visit resulted in an über-snarky post, but I'm hoping they've improved. For the love of pizza.

Things you should do in 2013:

  • Try many new places in dreary-looking strip malls in the far reaches of our town. They tend to have the most character and best undiscovered food.
  • Have lots of grill outs with friends.
  • Stop reading this and go do something cool. Let's be better role models for all those iPhone-toting ten-year-olds out there.
  • That said -- a'hem -- keep your eyes peeled for Google's Field Trip app, even if your eyesight is rapidly diminishing like mine is from staring at your smartphone. Let's just say it's a pretty cool app.


Some touristy joint in Algodones, Mexico 

I finished out my year with Margaritas under blue skies in a Mexican border town, but it couldn't charm me away from Omaha's deliciously treacherous, icy streets. I can't leave yet; my list of "Places to try" is still a mile long.

No comments:

Post a Comment