Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Amsterdam Falafel

620 North 50th Street (Just south of Underwood Avenue)
Omaha, NE 68132

(402) 504-3223
Open every day for lunch and dinner, extra late on weekends 
http://www.eatafk.com/


I sometimes feel left out when ordering at Amsterdam, like I'm not cool enough, in the incestuous heart of Dundee where everyone knows each other anyway. I guess it depends on who's working, but on my most recent visit I was subjected to loud indie crap music and my order was messed up. But alas, the food is pretty good, and fast, and cheap, and it's open late, and this is why I will go back again and again. The döner--yes they call them döners--and the falafel sandwiches are both served on pressed Turkish style bread just as they are in... Amsterdam. The sauces are pretty legit (spicy, herby, garlicky). I do think the meat has a bit of a spongy quality, and they really do put too much on the sandwich. (Bigger isn't always better.) Also, I think it's odd to add chickpeas to the döner, and I don't fancy tabbouleh in the mix either, but this is NOT Amsterdam OR Turkey and I get that they're doing it their own way. Here's to more independently owned, quality street food places in Omaha, snotty counter dudes and all. 


Döner Sandwich
Döner close-up--Meat, Red Cabbage, and Tabbouleh Salad with Tomatoes

Chickpeas 
Hummus plate:
Warm pressed bread, side of tabbouleh salad, carrot sticks, and a HUGE serving of hummus

No comments:

Post a Comment